Kalampur: Tension ran high at Dulakibandh village under Jaipatna police limits in Kalahandi district after a young sharecropper was electrocuted when he came in contact with a live wire that had snapped and was hanging near his farm Monday. He was identified as M Shyam Kumar (22).
According to sources, Kumar had engaged a few farmhands to pick up grass from his farm. After breakfast, he went to check on the work. However, he accidentally came in contact with the snapped live wire and sustained critical burn injuries.
Hearing his screams, farmhands rushed to the spot and alerted family members who admitted him to Jaipatna community health centre (CHC), where doctors declared him brought dead.
While Kumar originally hailed from Andhra Pradesh, he with his family lived at Dulakibandh and earned a living by doing agricultural work. The incident sparked outrage as locals blamed the electric department of negligence.
“Even as electric wires have worn out and are on the verge of collapse, they are not replaced. Despite repeated complaints, no official is bothered about it. However, they came on time to collect electric bills,” the villagers complained.
A case of unnatural death was registered and the body was sent for autopsy. Irate villagers demanded necessary compensation for the bereaved family as Kumar was the sole breadwinner for the family. They warned of an agitation if no help was provided to the family.